After months of hard work, endless coffee, and frustrating rewrites, you have finally finished your properly formatted, three-act, ninety-page screenplay. Today, we are going to break down the simple steps to selling it to Hollywood.
- Since there are way too many screenplays out there, first adapt your story into a novel to build an audience around your story.
- However, since everyone is submitting to publishing companies, you will need to adapt the novel into a Twitter account from the perspective of one of your characters. Impress the publishing company by building a decent following.
- In order to reach the necessary three million Twitter followers, you will need to adapt your Twitter character into a Kickstarter-funded, low-budget web series version of your film.
- To fund this web series, you will need to convince your friends and family that this project is worth creating, so adapt the web series into a musical for the stage.
- In order to convince a theater that your story is worthy of their stage, adapt it into a puppet show and put it on for a local audience.
- To persuade the locals to watch your puppetry, adapt the puppet show into an hour-long stand-up show and perform it at The Comedy Store, The Laugh Factory, and The Hollywood Improv.
- Since you will have to impress talent managers, you will need to adapt your comedy set into an acclaimed wall mural.
- To gain the city’s permission to paint a mural, you will need to adapt the mural into a popular board game.
- In order to convince Hasbro to distribute your board game, you will need to adapt the game into an Etsy store to sell merchandise similar to the board game.
- Since you will need an Etsy store with a sufficient following, you will need to adapt your store into a billboard ad on the freeway.
- In order to convince an advertising company to put up your billboard, you will need to adapt your billboard into a viral meme.
- Since you will need to create a viral meme, you will need to adapt the meme into a DC comic book series.
- To convince DC Comics, you will need to adapt your comic book series into a fashionable line of scarves.
- In order to convince Zara, you will need to adapt your scarves into a themed cruise ship experience.
- Since you will need to convince Carnival Cruise, you will need to adapt your cruise into an amusement park.
- To make your amusement park successful, you will need to adapt the park into a religion to draw people in.
- Since you will need to attract followers to your new religion, you will need to adapt the religion into a form of government to accommodate and entice followers to your religion.
- In order to have your form of government succeed, you need to adapt it into a nation-state.
- To convince the United Nations that you are a viable country, you will need to adapt your country into a culture.
- Since you will need a culture, you will need to adapt your culture into a food.
It's not easy, but that's Hollywood! With a little planning, some elbow-grease, and these surefire steps, you'll be selling your screenplay in no time!