We're looking for both seasoned comedy writers and fresh voices to contribute to PIC!
We read and reply to all submissions (typically within 10-14 days), offer payment for all accepted articles and lists, and publish comedy writing to as many as half a million monthly readers.
PIC is featured in:
- The Writer – Literary Spotlight: Points in Case (2022)
- Writer's Digest – 22nd Annual 101 Best Websites for Writers (2020)
- Paste – 7 Humor Websites You Should Be Reading (2019)
- The Week – Best Apps to Read Whenever You Need a Laugh (2019)
Specifically, we're looking for:
- Creative, thematic, and entertaining literary humor
- Punchy, elevated concept writing
- Previously unpublished work
- Under 1,000 words
We don't follow a viral or utilitarian formula when it comes to selecting both evergreen and timely comedy articles and lists—if it's funny it's funny, and we'll do our best to make it work. We're very open to creative writing, atypical formats, mainstream topics with an original approach, mundane topics made interesting, edgy material, satire and parodies, and other offbeat ideas. We're looking for smart, irreverent, and eloquent comedy writing with personality or pizzazz, and a clear throughline. But the main goal is to arouse laughter, whatever your method.
Funny stories, observational humor, essays, current events, and other topical articles are great too, as long as they're comedic. The only style we don't publish is satire news, because you already know where to get that.
Things that will increase the chances of having your humor writing published:
- Original topic or premise
- A refreshing spin or angle
- Strong, compelling opening
- Proofread and polished content
- Heightening, callbacks, or runners
- Descriptive, catchy title
- Emerging from a cloud of fog under a strobe light
If we publish your article, your name, photo, and bio will appear alongside it, and your author page will serve as a portfolio cataloging all of your published comedy. You can update all info on your author page—including your photo, bio, personal website and social media links—on your own at any time by logging in to your PIC account.
Want more specifics on what we look for in submissions?
- Read our Editor Interview on the writer's resource site Duotrope
- Read our editors' Tips for Submitting Short Humor to PIC
- Comedy Articles – Satire and parodies, observational humor, funny stories, listicles, humorous guides or essays, and open letters, including evergreen topics with an original approach, timely and topical humor, and offbeat ideas. We pay $35 per accepted article.
- Funny Lists – Shorter, punchier comedy formats encompassing lists, quizzes, reviews, and other non-paragraph style formats typically involving a series of items. We pay $10 per accepted list.
- Jokes – One-liners, observations, deep thoughts, tinylists, and anecdotes.
We look forward to reviewing your work!