Notes from Day 1
• I finished 12 for 16 for the day. All in all, an average showing.
• Only Seton Hall dropped out of my predicted Sweet 16.
• BC-Pacific was the best game of the day. It had everything I love about March Madness – get-out-your-seat amazing plays, clutch shooting, and a very near bracket buster – all wrapped into one. Craig Smith stepped to the line for BC, down 2, with 4 seconds to go in OT. A 65% shooter on the season and just 3 for 7 for the game, he iced 2 of the most clutch free throws you’ll ever see to send the game to double OT, where BC took over.
• James Lofton hit an incredible buzzer beater to cinch victory for
• I’m already sick of the Applebee’s shrimp commercial. At some point within the next 2 weeks, I see myself jamming an ice pick in my ear in an effort to get the jingle out of my head. “A three-hour tewer! A three-hour tewer!”
Onto Friday’s picks…
1 Villanova over 16 Monmouth
No upset picks here, but the Villanova and
I filled out all of my brackets online. I thought I took
Interesting side note: Villanova guard Allan Ray has been listed as questionable for most of the week after getting poked in the eye vs.
10 NC State over 7
Interesting side note: The potential exists for a PIC clash in the Sweet 16 if
9 Bucknell over 8
5 Pitt over 12
Nothing crazy here either. I should mention that, although I stated in my article that I liked Bucknell’s chances against Memphis in the second round, I ended up taking Memphis in that game. However, with the mass exodus from Conference
Interesting side note: I successfully picked 14th-seeded Bucknell’s upset over 3rd-seeded
1 UConn over 16
9 Alabama-Birmingham over 8
I had picked George Mason to survive the first round, until I learned that starting guard and second-leading scorer Tony Skinn had been suspended for the game after throwing ‘bows in their conference tournament. I was also saddened to learn that Skinn does not don jersey #4.
I can’t believe how good
Interesting side note: